The Esplanade(from Graffiti)

The Esplanade

It's midnight or

8 p.m. according to my watch.

The Esplanade pub, St. Kilda.

I sit freezing by the window,

outside the sea pretends to sleep.

It stares at me.

 

In the toilet I

ask a guy for a light

as he is pissing, humming.

"Why don't you pull down my pants mate"

he yelled.

Next to me a girl is shivering to the music

I say, "I saw 12 aborigines dancing around

my car, at Wilson's Prom yesterday".

The girl frowns with a shrug,

then turns away.

 

I order another VB..

I drink another VB..

 

The whole night

is equally dark

and tonight it is.

The place closes when I leave.

        Going home I lie down

in front of the TV,

trying to sleep.

Now in Melbourne it's 6 o'clock,

but it's just 2 am there in Bangkok.


-wipas srithong






No comments:

Post a Comment